Wednesday 14 October 2015

A new me?





I'm assuming that most people have heard of Slimming World, or is that just a UK thing? Nevermind. I started Slimming World last Tuesday and in my first week I have lost 5lbs, yes 5lbs in 7 days. 
At first I was a bit dubious of starting, because I have tried so many diets and eating plans and I just never stick to them. 
My problem is that I have suffered with bulimia, when I tell people this their automatic response is, ''But you're fat..''. Here's a fact for you, most people with bulimia are over weight. Bulimia does not help weight loss because when you purge you only purge 50% of what you've eaten. If you have binged and had 5000 calories, then you are only getting rid of 2500. The next response people have is, ''Why don't you just stop doing it...''. This is essentially the same as telling someone with depression to cheer up or someone with anxiety to calm down, these comments are unhelpful and uneducated. 
I have had bulimia for eight years, it comes and goes depending on my self-esteem or how I am feeling towards food. The problem is that I cannot eat without feeling guilty, I don't binge and purge as such, I just feel guilty about eating ANYTHING. I have now had a few months of therapy and it has worked wonders. I have currently now not purged for two weeks, which is a big deal for me. 
So, I decided to join Slimming World, its relatively easy, they give you a pack with everything you need to know about the plan. 
Alot of foods are free, as long as they have nutrional value, like veg and fruit, pasta, rice, beans, ect. You have two healthy extras a day, an A and a B. A is Dairy, like milk and cheese. B is grains, like bread or weetabix, breakfast cereals. So you choose from those two, which you will have and anything else you want from those is counted....as syns. You have 15 syns a day, different foods are a different amount of syns, for example, a big mac is around 24 syns and a square of chocolate is 1.5syns. I generally save my syns for the evening times so I can have a little bit of chocolate and an icecream or something, this way I do not feel deprived or even like I am on a diet at all. 
I have literally eaten everything this past week; fryups, spag bol, curry, burgers. Everything just has to be cooked from scratch, which I can assure is ten times more satisfying than a jar or packet and much more filling in my opinion. 

I strongly recommend anyone that wants to lose weight, to find a slimming world group in your area and join it!

No comments:

Post a Comment